Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Friendly issues

This is a little story about 'Fran'. Better known as the girl who called me who could be considered as one of my 'friends'.

It was 5 am. My nerves were pulsing through my body. The cold air nipped at my skin and the smell of nothing drowned my thoughts. I gradually sat up into a sitting position in my bed as I listened to the blaring sound of the alarm going off. The rustling of the bushes outside tripped my breath, the sickening images of what was about to happen were flickering across my mind as if someone were leafing through a book. Although I had been robbed of my rights and limited freedom, I knew I had to pull myself together before I told my parents it was time.
I got out of bed, turned off my alarm clock, shooed the possums in the bushes outside my window away, opened my door and walked across the hallway to reluctantly tell my parents it was time to get ready to take me to my school camp.
My parents say that camp teaches me about independance and how to survive in the wild, but I say that is a load of crap. It is a lame excuse for the teachers to take us into the wild and punish us for talking too much in class or whatever.
Anyway, as nervous as I was, I knew that I could rely on my friend (let’s call her Fran) to save me a seat on the bus to camp. With a small dose of confidence I added a bit of spring into my step knowing that Fran was so great. So we-my parents and I- hopped into the car. As the car sped closer to my destination, my stomach increasingly built up a wall of nerves making me feel fragile. I didn’t want to go to camp, I wanted to remain at home with my family and drink hot chocolate but for the next 4 days and 3 nights that would not be an option. So I thought about Fran saving me a seat to help calm my rapid thoughts. As the time came to bid my parents farwell, I broke down a little further, making me a little more fragile knowing the hardest part is goodbye. As I turned around and steadily trod up the stairs of the bus to enter the domain of nervous energy I looked around expectantly for Fran. I starred straight ahead, my heart sinking. Tears were threatening to well over when I said, “Oh, shall I sit by myself then? Is that what you want?”
“I’m so sorry Kirsty. I saved you seat but she came and sat down next to me and she wouldn’t go. I’ve tried telling her to move but she won’t,” said Fran.
Fran you crazy bi*ch! I thought. Before I had time to think of comprehendable thoughts, Fran’s friend Courtney who was sitting next to her said, “Haha, yea Kirsty got lost!” ( in a laughing way which I didn’t find funny at all).
I starred at her and said, “Gee, thanks a lot.” So I sauntered to the only remaining seat at the front of the bus and breathed deep breaths to restrain myself from bawling my eyes out. How could Fran betray me!! Why did she do this!! My feelings are so hurt!! Why? Because I liked Fran better than she liked me and she just made that clear. You know what? Now I know where we stand. I said that to her. When we got off the bus she pretended nothing happened. She told me she felt sick but I couldn’t care less. I told her to clench her stomach mucles which worked. She threw up in the most stupid spot, right next to the toilet (or the pit hole). That bit is irrelevant though.
The lesson I learnt was that sometimes people don’t think. I knew it was a sign to me that she was not the right friend for me. That doesn’t mean that I can’t still hang out with her, it just means that once I move scholls next year (can’t wait!) we will no longer be friends. Truth be told, I don’t really like any of my friends at all. But there is no one else really to hang out with. So does that still make them my friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment